The average dog is about as smart as a two-year-old human toddler, but some stand out above the rest as clever dogs that can really learn an impressive trick or two. Wondering how your pet stacks up in intellect? Here are the top five smartest dog breeds; see if your furry friend makes the list!
- Border Collies: Border Collies top the list of these clever canines, being the smartest dog breed out there. Studies show that a Border Collie can learn a command in as little as five seconds, and follow it at least 95% of the time. They’re also especially known to be good at understanding human speech.
- Poodles: These hypoallergenic dogs are surprisingly intelligent. Perhaps this intelligence, plus their allergy-friendly qualities, is what leads them to be crossed with so many other breeds, creating cockapoos, whoodles, goldendoodles, and more.
- German Shepherds: A popular choice for working dogs, police K9 units, seeing eye dogs, and more, it should come as no surprise that this brainiac breed ranks so highly. Their loyal temperament makes them great guard dogs, but be careful; this breed can get bored easily due to their intellect.
- Golden Retrievers: This smart breed is one of the most popular choices of dog breeds in America, and their intelligence is one of the many reasons why. While they were originally bred as hunting dogs, these silly, lovable pups often enjoy acting like a bit of a goof, making them a great choice for families.
- Doberman Pinschers: Another popular choice for police, Doberman Pinschers are incredibly intelligent and good at learning new commands. But don’t let their intimidating look and reputation as guard dogs fool you; their loyal temperament makes them great for families and young children.
It’s important to note, professional vets suggest at least twice-yearly checkups for older pets. If you’re looking to adopt a furry friend into your family sometime soon, consider one of these five clever canines. Just be warned that smarter dogs will often need more attention and stimulation throughout the day to keep them entertained, so be ready to play a lot with these pups.