Mold has been found in KSU’s Ford Hall. And while residential mold happens all the time across the United States, it can result in serious health concerns for anyone exposed. In fact, according to the Mayo Clinic, 93% of chronic sinus infections have been attributed to mold.
As long as homeowners know how to identify signs of mold, and act quickly by hiring water damage and mold cleanup professionals, they should be able to salvage their housing structures and limit cost and damage. When mold reaches residential halls on college campuses, however, the problem isn’t as easy to fix.
According to Fox 4 KC, a letter has been sent out to students at a residential hall at Kansas State University regarding mold inside student dorm rooms.
Ford Hall, an all-female hall at KSU, houses more than 500 students on 10 floors.
“Depending on the nature of the mold, whether old and inactive or new growth, treatment may include cleaning the affected area, repairing any pipe insulation that is damaged, and/or painting the area with mold resistant paint,” wrote a spokesperson for KSU. “For the rooms that have been looked at so far, in all cases, the mold was inactive and not actively growing.”
Additionally, KStateCollegian adds that in a letter to the editor, Jonathon Cole, a student senator and senior in mechanical engineering, voiced his concerns of the unsafe living conditions at the university:
“With students struggling to pay for things like food, rent, medical costs, and other essential things, K-State has a moral obligation to provide safe and affordable on-campus living for its students. I call upon President Richard Myers, vice president Pat Bosco, and associate vice president Derek Jackson to not only provide a safe living environment for students currently living on campus but to make on-campus living accessible and affordable for all students.”